Kampar Chinese MC donates anniversary funds to local schools
STORY AND PICTURE
BY GEORGE MARTZEN
THE joyful singing of former
members of Kampar Chinese Methodist Church was but one demonstration
of the multiplication of ministry in this 100-year-old congregation.
A thanksgiving service was held on Sept 6, 2003 in the recently enlarged church sanctuary, with the Rev Koo Tiong Ling, President of the Malaysian Chinese Methodist Annual Conference, as preacher.
The service was followed by a charity dinner in the evening at the Chung Huah Chinese Primary School. More than 800 people attended. In fact, the community response was so great that many church members had to give up their seats to those from the community.
The members of Kampar CMC, in Perak, Malaysia, decided to use its 100th anniversary celebration on Sept 6 as an opportunity for community service.
Former members of Kampar Chinese Methodist Church raising their voices in praise of God.
Funds received at the dinner were donated to the local schools, including the ACS Secondary (M$3,556.50, or about S$1,700) and ACS Primary (M$3,586.50, or about S$1,733). The ACS, along with all other schools in Malaysia, are government run. However, local communities contribute to the upkeep of the facilities.
The Guest-of-Honour was the Malaysian Member of Parliament for Kampar, Tan Sri Dato' Hew See Dong, JP.
The church donated more than M$53,000 (about S$26,000) to eight local schools, including the local primary and secondary campuses of the Anglo-Chinese School, which began the same year as the Methodist congregation.
The church was formed in 1903, 200 years after the birth of John Wesley. One of Wesley's main concerns was the quality education of young people.
Throughout its 100 years the Kampar church has nurtured and sent many into ministry. In recent decades 18 have gone on to theological schools, including Trinity Theological College in Singapore, and entered full or part-time ministry.
The Rev George Martzen is Minister Attached to the Bishop's Office.